Welcome to the first edition of a six-weekly report into how well I’m doing with reversing liver disease and life in general.
Weight at start: 105kg
Current weight: 100kg
Goal weight: 74kg (according to BMI)
I started five habits that I’m trying to keep up:
|Name||Kept to it?|
|Aim to lose 5kg every six weeks||Yes, 5kg lost|
|Go for a run at least two times a week||6 weeks out of 6|
|Use calorie counting to keep my eating habits in check||2 weeks out of 6|
|Stop using lifts||6 weeks out of 6|
|Have at most one night a week with alcohol consumption||5 weeks out of 6|
I purchased a FitBit which has motivated me to walk more and take more care of my sleeping pattern.
Next six weeks
I’m going to stick with the same habits. I’ve bought an Oculus Rift which has some high energy games. I’m going to try including them to burn some extra calories.
Calorie counting I find easy to stop doing, but I notice each time I do I start having little cheat snacks. I’ll try and stick with it better for the next few weeks.
Good things in this period
- Organised CodeCraftConf for the fifth year in a row
- Ran a retrospective for the Architecture Fringe
- Ran (literally) the Glasgow 10K with a time of 64 minutes
- Did a talk on workplace design for the Heart of Agile meetup
- Attended “bikablo basic” training to learn to facilitate via drawing
- Recorded a podcast with Jane Wilson on UX
- Saw England vs Australia for the Ashes in Manchester (Australia won though)
My wife is an MP and I agreed to attend an early meeting tomorrow since she could drop the kids off. I now get to reject the meeting with: "I'm sorry, the supreme court has ruled against me attending"— Joe Wright (@joe_jag) September 24, 2019
I'm still annoyed after hearing some senior developers refuse to teach a junior in a team as it's "not their job". The measure of a senior developer is how much they teach, not how much they code— Joe Wright (@joe_jag) September 16, 2019
Bad things in this period
- I got a cold which took me off work for a week. I decided to eat my way out of the cold, which left me a kilo up by the end of the week. Reduced calorie intake and being ill isn’t something I can do.
- I tried to start using a toilet three floors above where I work to get extra exercise which started well. After a week, I was getting knee pains from going up and down the stairs multiple times a day.
See you again around the 11th November.